Hot Topics for the 2019 Forum included:
• Hawaii’s barrel tax, carbon tax, and renewable portfolio standard: what works and what doesn’t relative to carbon and fuel policy goals in Hawaii and elsewhere?
• Environmental permitting – How do we define success and reduce cost for sustainable projects in Hawai’i’s delicate landscape?
• Commercial aviation is the vital artery for the tourism industry – what can Hawaii realistically do to meet international aviation’s carbon reduction mandate?
• Net-Zero Community real estate development – How can it be done within affordable housing costs?
• Waste to energy conversion – What are the opportunities to displace fossil fuels?
• Evolving Energy Technologies – What are the state-of-the-art innovations in energy technologies and new energy transaction models including but not limited to Microgrids and energy storage in a low carbon future?
• Energy Innovation in Practice – What are the challenges and evolving opportunities in the smart energy sector from emerging and advanced economies?
Bioeconomy Hawaii Forum 2019
Summary of Event Proceedings
Bioeconomy Hawaii Forum 2019 Program
Speakers and Presentations
Welcome Remarks and Scenesetter Presentations
Senate President, Hawaii State Senate
Executive Director, Hawai’i Bioeconomy Trade Organization
Opening Remarks: Introduction to the Hawaii Bioeconomy Trade Organization Mission & Vision
Vice Speaker, Hawaii State House of Representatives
Owner, Simonpietri Enterprises LLC
& Co-Chair, Bioeconomy Hawaii Forum 2019
Scenesetter: Hot topics in the Hawaii Bioeconomy:
Renewable Fuel and Carbon Reduction– Innovation at the intersection between technology, economics, and policy
Moderator: Senator Glenn Wakai, Chair of Senate Energy, Economic Development, and Tourism Committee, Hawaii State Senate
• Nick Paslay, Hawaiian Electric Company
• Aaron Kirk, Hawai’i Gas
• Bob King, Pacific Biodiesel
President, Pacific Biodiesel
Senior Director for Renewable Energy Integration – Hawaii Gas
Director of Fuels Operations, Hawaiian Electric Company
The future of landscapes and the Bioeconomy in Hawaii
Moderator Ms Danielle Bass, Hawaii State Sustainability Coordinator
• Mahi LaPierre, Artisan and ecological restoration practitioner, University of Hawaii
• Sean Connelly, Architect, artist, urban ecologist, and author of Hawaii Futures
Hawaii State Sustainability Coordinator
Artisan and ecological restoration practitioner, University of Hawaii
Kālai aku, Kālai mai
Understanding Bio Economy from a Hawaiian perspective
Architect, artist, urban ecologist, and author of Hawaii Futures
Ala Wai Centennial: A Memorial Project
Stewardship of water resources in the ahupua`a that feed the Ala Wai Canal area
Housing Development and the “Wireless Grid” Energy Solution
Moderator Ms Carilyn Shon, Hawaii State Energy Administrator
• Timothy Yi, SamKoo Pacific
• John E Waters, Waters & Associates
• Bernice Glen, National Security Technology Accelerator (NSTXL)
Senior Vice President, Par Hawaii
Illustrating fuel greenhouse gas lifecycle vs. tailpipe emissions.
Lieutenant Governor, State of Hawai`i
How the bioeconomy and sustainability fit into a vibrant healthy ecosystem for all of Hawai`i
Workshop 1: Renewable Fuel and Fossil Carbon Reduction Policy
● Moderators: Joelle Simonpietri & Matt Kapaliku Schirman
Workshop 2: Net-Zero Project Development and Sustainable Energy Supply for both Built
Environment and Transportation Sectors
● Moderators: Janis Koh & Carl Campagna
Intersession Video: The Boeing Company
Renewable Jet Fuel Initiative